Honey-Tamarind Baby Back Ribs
Yields 4 Servings
- 2 racks baby back ribs (5 1/4 pounds)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup clover or other mild honey
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tamarind concentrate
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian chile paste, such as sambal oelek
- Preheat the oven to 275. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Put the ribs on the baking sheet and season on both sides with salt and black pepper. Bake the ribs, meaty side up, for 2 1/2 hours, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, blend the honey, ketchup, soy sauce, ginger, tamarind, garlic and chile paste until smooth.
- Increase the oven temperature to 450. Drain the fat from the baking sheet. Brush the ribs with the barbecue sauce. Roast the ribs, bony side up, for 10 minutes, until richly browned. Turn the ribs over, brush with more sauce and roast for 5 minutes, until browned. Brush the ribs with the remaining barbecue sauce and roast for 5 minutes longer, until deeply browned and glossy. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut the racks into ribs and serve.