This Caribbean pepper is famous for being the hottest chile pepper in the world. They come in a variety of shapes and colors (yellow, orange, green, red, chocolate). Not only are they extremely hot, but they also have a unique, distinctively fruity flavor. It is the key ingredient in the popular Jamaican Jerk sauce. The habanero is also widely used in many different types of hot sauces. The popularity of this chile pepper continues to grow and is becoming easier to find on the grocery shelf.
- 2(15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans
- 1 whole habanero pepper (and or 1 tsp habanero powder)
- 1 red bell pepper, Roasted, seeded, skin removed
- 10 garlic cloves, roasted
- 1⁄3 cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Drain garbanzo beans, reserve liquid from one can. put all ingredients in a food processor or blender, process till smooth. Add reserved liquid (or more olive oil) if hummus is too thick.
- To serve: Put into a serving dish, sprinkle with cayenne or paprika and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve with toasted pita wedges. Also great with veggies.
- This recipe makes about 2 cups and is easily halved.