Tequila Habanero Honey and Lemon Cocktail
This Caribbean pepper is famous for being the hottest chile pepper in the world. They come in a variety of shapes and colors (yellow, orange, green, red, chocolate). Not only are they extremely hot, but they also have a unique, distinctively fruity flavor. It is the key ingredient in the popular Jamaican Jerk sauce. The habanero is also widely used in many different types of hot sauces. The popularity of this chile pepper continues to grow and is becoming easier to find on the grocery shelf.
Habanero Honey Syrup:
- 1 habanero pepper (or 2, if you’re feeling adventurous), sliced
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup water
For the Cocktail:
- 2 ounces silver tequila
- 1 ounce Habanero Honey Syrup
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- Soda water (optional)
- For the Habanero Honey Syrup, bring sliced habanero peppers, honey and water to a boil in a small saucepan, then remove from heat. Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Strain Habanero Honey Syrup through a sieve and reserve in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- For the cocktails, in a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine tequila, habanero honey syrup and lemon juice. Shake vigorously for 30 seconds, then strain into a cocktail glass. If desired, top with a splash of soda water. Garnish with a lemon twist or thin slice of habanero pepper.