Stuffed Anaheim Pepper “Nachos”
An Anaheim pepper is a mild variety of chili pepper. The name “Anaheim” derives from Emilio Ortega, a farmer who brought the seeds to the Anaheim, California, area in the early 1900s.
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 & 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 5 green onions, sliced
- 1 can re-fried beans
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 2 avocados
- 2 limes
- sausage (optional) – chorizo is recommended
- 6 anaheim/poblano chiles
- Lightly oil anaheim chiles and place in a baking tray. Turn on oven broiler and let warm up 5 minutes. Place chiles immediately below burner, charring the outside. Keep a close eye on them, this will happen fast. Turn over and repeat for other side. Take peppers out of oven and let cool.
- Make the dirty rice. Dice onion and add half to saucepan with 2 tbsp olive oil (reserve other half for refried beans below). Sauté, covered on medium-low heat for 20 minutes until caramelized. Add chili powder, onion powder, cumin and cayenne and cook until fragrant, ~ 1 minute. Add 1 & 1/2 cups chicken broth and bring to boil. Add rice, turn heat to low, cover the pot and cook until rice is al dente, ~ 15 minutes. Add 3 sliced green onions and 1/4 cup salsa and set aside.
- Make the refried beans. Sauté the reserved 1/2 onion with 2 tbsp olive oil for 10 minutes over medium heat until caramelized. Add diced green chili’s and 1 tbsp chili powder and sauté for 3 minutes. Add refried beans and cook to warm through, ~5 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Make the guacamole. Add avocado to bowl and add lime juice. Mash with fork and season with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Cook the sausage. In small sauté pan, add diced sausage and cook over medium heat until browned on all sides, ~5-10 minutes, set aside.
- Assemble the stuffed peppers. Make a single slit in the peppers and remove the seeds, you should have 6 ‘boats’ ready to be stuffed. Divide refried beans between the 6 peppers, smooth out with a spoon. Next layer: add guacamole to 6 peppers and smooth with a spoon. Next layer is dirty rice, add to each pepper and smooth with spoon. Add diced sausage to top of each pepper and cover each with shredded cheese. Transfer to cast iron pan, and place in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes until warmed through. Serve hot out of the oven.