Strawberry Bourbon Habanero BBQ Sauce
This Caribbean pepper is famous for being the hottest chile pepper in the world. They come in a variety of shapes and colors (yellow, orange, green, red, chocolate). Not only are they extremely hot, but they also have a unique, distinctively fruity flavor. It is the key ingredient in the popular Jamaican Jerk sauce. The habanero is also widely used in many different types of hot sauces. The popularity of this chile pepper continues to grow and is becoming easier to find on the grocery shelf.
Yield: 3 Servings
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ cup of onion finely minced
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1½ cup of ketchup
- ½ cup of bourbon
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 cups of fresh strawberries cut chopped into ½ inch pieces
- ½ of a Habanero pepper de-seeded and finely chopped
- In a food processor, add the chopped strawberries and Habanero pepper. Puree into a fine pulp.
- In a saucepan, add the olive oil, onion, and garlic. Sauté until transparent and soft. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the bourbon, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, and brown sugar. Stir and bring to a slow simmer.
- Add the strawberry puree and continue to simmer on low for 10 minutes.