Spicy Watermelon Salad
Jalapenos are the most popular chile peppers in the US. This is probably due to the availability and versatility of the chile. Jalapenos have a balanced combination of flavor and heat.
The demand for these have caused breeders to develop a broad range of varieties. You can now get jalapenos with various heat level and sizes. These can be used in salsas, stuffed, or eaten straight with cheeseburgers (my personal favorite).
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 white onion, sliced into thin rings
- 2 qts. (2 lbs.) cubed watermelon
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 jalapeño chile, halved, seeded, and sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- 8 ounces feta or cotija cheese, broken into chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1. Heat vinegar in a small saucepan over high heat until boiling. Add onion and cook, turning as needed, until it’s pink and most of vinegar is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Spoon onion out of pan, let cool slightly, then roughly chop.
- 2. Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add onion and toss just to combine.