Slow Cooker Quinoa Tex Mex
BellaFina™ peppers may be used to create a wide variety of recipes, from appetizers to main dishes. BellaFina™ peppers are often used in salads, vegetables trays with or without dip, cooked in stews and sauces and stuffed with meat, cheese and grains.
- 1 and 1/2 cups quinoa, well rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained (I used Hunt’s)
- 1 can (15.25 ounces) corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Bellafina peppers, chopped
- 1 poblano chili pepper (~3/4 cup), chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups water (or chicken broth)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2-4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 and 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Optional: green onions, salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the quinoa well. I rinse my quinoa in a mesh strainer under hot water.
- Place the washed quinoa, drained and rinsed black beans, undrained diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed corn in the slow cooker.
- Chop the sweet peppers and poblano chili pepper (remove seeds if desired). Add the chopped peppers, minced garlic, and chopped onion to the slow cooker. Stir everything together. Add in the chili powder, ground cumin, and water. Stir again and cook for 3-4 hours or 5-6 hours on high or until the water is completely absorbed and the quinoa is cooked through. All slow cookers cook a little differently so make sure to occasionally check the dish to make sure the quinoa isn’t burning or sticking all to the sides.
- Remove from heat and stir in the chopped cilantro, fresh lime juice, taco seasoning to taste, and green onions if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the mozzarella cheese and enjoy immediately.
Adapted from chelseasmessyapron.com