Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
An Anaheim pepper is a mild variety of chili pepper. The name “Anaheim” derives from Emilio Ortega, a farmer who brought the seeds to the Anaheim, California, area in the early 1900s.
- 3 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tbs of butter
- 1 tbs of lemon juice
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 tsp grated ginger (alternatively, you could use ginger paste)
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 3 tbs tomato paste
- 1-2 Anaheim chiles, chopped
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Combine the following ingredients in the crockpot: lemon juice, garlic, ginger, spices, chicken stock and tomato paste. Mix until well combined.
- Add the chicken, onions, butter and Anaheim chiles to the crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours.
- During the last half hour of cook time, add the whipping cream and combine.
- Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.