Roasted Habanero and Mango Salsa
This Caribbean pepper is famous for being the hottest chile pepper in the world. They come in a variety of shapes and colors (yellow, orange, green, red, chocolate). Not only are they extremely hot, but they also have a unique, distinctively fruity flavor. It is the key ingredient in the popular Jamaican Jerk sauce. The habanero is also widely used in many different types of hot sauces. The popularity of this chile pepper continues to grow and is becoming easier to find on the grocery shelf.
Makes 1 cup.
- 1 habanero, cut in half, seeds removed (if desired)
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup red onion
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place habanero on a baking sheet. Roast for 10 – 15 minutes or until soft. Remove from oven, allow to cool and then mince. Be careful to wash your hands after handling the pepper.
- Place minced habanero and remaining ingredients into a bowl. Gently mix to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. Serve cold.