Passion Fruit Habanero Cocktail
This Caribbean pepper is famous for being the hottest chile pepper in the world. They come in a variety of shapes and colors (yellow, orange, green, red, chocolate). Not only are they extremely hot, but they also have a unique, distinctively fruity flavor. It is the key ingredient in the popular Jamaican Jerk sauce. The habanero is also widely used in many different types of hot sauces. The popularity of this chile pepper continues to grow and is becoming easier to find on the grocery shelf.
Yield 2 Servings
For the tequila:
- 1½ cups tequila, preferably blanco
- 3 habanero chiles, halved lengthwise
For the drink:
- 3 oz. habanero infused tequila
- 2 oz. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 oz. simple syrup
- 1 oz. passion fruit puree
- Lime wedges
- Combine the tequila and chiles in a glass bowl or jar. Let sit for 1 hour. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, transfer to a jar and close tightly until ready to use.
- Coat the rim of two glasses with coarse salt and fill with ice. In a cocktail shaker with ice, combine the tequila, orange juice, lime juice, simple syrup and passion fruit puree. Shake vigorously, then strain into the prepared glasses. Serve with fresh lime wedges.