Jalapeno Crab Dip
Jalapenos are the most popular chile peppers in the US. This is probably due to the availability and versatility of the chile. Jalapenos have a balanced combination of flavor and heat.
The demand for these have caused breeders to develop a broad range of varieties. You can now get jalapenos with various heat level and sizes. These can be used in salsas, stuffed, or eaten straight with cheeseburgers (my personal favorite).
Recipe from Emeril Lagasse
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped pickled jalapenos
- 1/4 pound pepper jack cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 ounces parmesan, grated
- 1 recipe Toasted Croutons, recipe follows
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the crabmeat, garlic, jalapenos, Monterey Jack, Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt, and mayonnaise in a medium-size mixing bowl. Toss gently to mix. Spoon the mixture into a medium-size mixing bowl. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese evenly on the top of the crabmeat mixture. Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for about 5 minutes before serving with the croutons
Croutons ****I served mine with tortilla chips this time around.
- 1 loaf french bread(about 8 inches in diameter and 15 inches long), ends trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the bread slices on the baking sheet and brush them with half of the olive oil, then sprinkle them with 1/8 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the black pepper. Turn the slices over, and brush them with the remaining oil, and sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper. Bake for about 6 minutes, then turn the baking sheet around in the oven to ensure even browning. Bake until the croutons are lightly browned, about 6 more minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before serving.