Watermelon and Tomatillo Salsa Salad
The tomatillo is a plant of the nightshade family, related to the cape gooseberry, bearing small, spherical and green or green-purple fruit of the same name. Tomatillos originated in Mexico, and are a staple of that country’s cuisine.
Yields 3-4 Servings
- 2 cups of cubed watermelon
- 1 cup of cubed jicama – peeled, of course.
- 2 tomatoes sliced then halved
- ¼ cup cilantro minced – leave a few leaves whole for garnishing
- 1 can organic chickpeas – rinsed
- Tomatillo salsa – I used premade
- 1 lime
- Assemble all of the ingredients on a salad plate or in a bowl. Add the salsa to individual plates. Squeeze the juice of a lime wedge over the salad for added flavor.