Vegan Stuffed Pasilla Peppers with Habanero Pesto
Yields 4 Servings
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup loosely packed cilantro
- ¼ cup vegan parmesan shreds (we used Follow Your Heart vegan shreds)
- 3 habanero peppers, deveined of all seeds
- 6-8 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup tricolor quinoa
- ¾ cup vegetarian chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ small white onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning mix
- 4 Pasilla peppers
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 12 ounce package soy chorizo
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheese (we used Daiya Classic Blend Shreds)
- 1 cup corn (organic, if possible)
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Habanero pesto (recipe and instructions included)
- Red onion
- Minced cilantro
- Heat oven to 400 degree F.
- Mix all ingredients in a food processor and blend on high for about a minute.
- Store, covered in the refrigerator until ready to be used.
- Before cooking, rinse quinoa thoroughly. Place quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water for about 30 seconds to a minute.
- In a saucepan, combine quinoa, broth, and taco seasoning.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until quinoa is slightly translucent, about 15-20 minutes. Set aside.
- Place peppers in oven and broil on high until very slightly charred and soft enough to cut through easily, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove peppers from oven and cut a slit down the middle of the peppers, lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, remove as many seeds as you can. Set peppers aside.
- In a pan on medium high heat, add two teaspoons oil.
- When oil is hot, add soyrizo and cook according to package directions.
- Add garlic, corn, and quinoa. Cook an additional 5 minutes on medium high heat.
- Remove pan from heat and toss the cheese in the mixture.
- Brush each pepper with remaining teaspoon of oil.
- Once soyrizo mixture is cool enough to handle, begin stuffing the peppers.
- Stuff each pepper generously with stuffing mixture and place in an oven safe pan
- Bake stuffed peppers on 400 degree F for 30 minutes.
- Top each pepper with an additional teaspoon of shredded cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove peppers from oven and let sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with habanero pesto, red onion, and cilantro.