Spicy Green Bloody Mary
The tomatillo is a plant of the nightshade family, related to the cape gooseberry, bearing small, spherical and green or green-purple fruit of the same name. Tomatillos originated in Mexico, and are a staple of that country’s cuisine.
Yields 4 Servings
- 1 lb tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped
- 1 medium English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup halved yellow tomatoes
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/2 Tbsp raw sugar
- 1 cup chilled vodka
- 2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Garnish: yellow tomatoes, cooked shrimp, cucumber slice
- Puree together tomatillos, cucumber, yellow tomatoes, jalapeño, water, lime juice, cilantro, and sugar.
- Stir in vodka.
- Chill 2 hours.
- Stir together 2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, and 1/2 tsp paprika.
- Rim glasses with the seasoned salt.
- Fill glasses with ice and then fill with bloody marys.
- Garnish and serve.