Spicy Dark Chocolate Gelato
Jalapeños are the most popular chile peppers in the US. This is probably due to the availability and versatility of the chile. Jalapeños have a balanced combination of flavor and heat. The demand for these have caused breeders to develop a broad range of varieties.
Yields 6 Servings
- 1 small jalapeño pepper
- 3 large or 4 medium fully-ripened bananas, peeled, sliced, and frozen
- 1/4 cup organic unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon fleur de sel (sea salt)
- Prepare a grill or grill pan. Grill the jalapeño over direct medium-high heat until rich grill marks form, about 8 minutes. Discard (compost) the stem and, if desired, up to half of the seeds.
- Meanwhile, remove the bananas from the freezer and let stand to slightly soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add the jalapeño, bananas, cocoa, extracts, and sea salt to a food processor. Pulse until the bananas are finely chopped. Then puree until the mixture resembles soft-serve ice cream.
- Enjoy immediately soft-serve-style. Or freeze and serve scooped.