Garlicky Bell Pepper Tofu Scramble with Waffled Jalapeno Hash Browns
Jalapeños are the most popular chile peppers in the US. This is probably due to the availability and versatility of the chile. Jalapeños have a balanced combination of flavor and heat. The demand for these have caused breeders to develop a broad range of varieties.
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and grated
- ½-1 jalapeño, diced
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ tablespoon olive oil or melted butter/vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ of one yellow onion, chopped
- 3 green Bellafina peppers, chopped
- 3 red Bellafina peppers, chopped
- 7-ounces organic firm tofu, pressed and crumbled
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric (optional, for color)
- Cilantro and hot sauce, for topping (optional)
- Place the grated potatoes in a potato ricer to squeeze out the excess liquid. This part is crucial to getting your hash browns crispy! I do this in waves, because the ricer is more effective if you don’t overfill it.
- Toss together the potatoes, jalapeño, and salt in a bowl. Brush the olive oil on the heated waffle iron, and then place all of the potatoes on top. It will look like too much – that’s what you want! Overfilling the waffle iron is what gets them crispy. Press the lid down as much as you can without breaking your iron, and then let them cook until golden, going back to press the iron down every few minutes. The cook time will vary from iron-to-iron, but I would start checking after 10 minutes to be safe. Mine took 20.
- While the hash browns cook, prepare the tofu scramble. Heat the oil in a large fry pan. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then add the onion and half the salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft (about 4 minutes). Stir in the bell peppers, and cook for another 5-7 minutes, until the peppers are slightly softened.
- Crumble in the tofu, and sprinkle in the nutritional yeast, turmeric, chili powder, and remaining salt. Cook, stirring frequently, for 7-10 minutes.
- Top the tofu scramble with hot sauce and cilantro, if you wish, and divide the hash browns among the 2 plates.
Adapted from recipe by Katie from veggieandthebeastfeast.com